So here we are with the first of Netflix’s Marvel shows. And so far, I’m pretty impressed.
- Foggy: He’s going to be the breakout side character that everyone loves, I can pretty much guarantee it.
- I like how they show off Matt’s abilities. Bringing up the sound of the things he’s listening for gives the audience a way to get Matt’s perspective across in a visual medium.
- Speaking of Matt’s abilities, other than his exceptional hearing he doesn’t have any “super-powers” per se. Which means that he gets beaten up a lot during the course of the episode, and I liked that.
- Bad Guys: Typical Corporate Douche (I forget his name) being less worried about the vigilante taking out his partners because superheroes are good for business was amusing.
- I also liked how Kingpin stayed off-screen for the entire episode. D’Onofrio is probably the most recognizable name in the cast, and I know that he’s a phenomenal actor and keeping him out of sight for the first episode gives the rest of the cast the chance to shine.
- I liked that Karen joined Team Nelson & Murdock (can someone please come up with a catchy nickname for our heroes please?) at the end of the episode. She seems to be a good balance between Foggy’s slightly mercenary attitude and Matt’s overwhelming desire to do good.
So that’s the first episode in the bag. I have to admit that I’m interested in seeing how well this grittier take on the MCU gels with the rest of it. The good thing about having it on Netflix is that I don’t have to wait a week to find out.