Good news: I’m still alive!
Better news: There’s a new season of Doctor Who!
- Hand Mines: Nice and Creepy, I like it.
- My Name is Davros: Ooh, that can’t be good.
- The Colony Sarff: I had a feeling we were dealing with snake people, and I was right!
- #theplaneshavestopped: Yeah, that would get noticed pretty quickly.
- Death is for other people: Considering how many times the Master is supposed to have “died”, I’d say that’s accurate.
- The Doctor’s Last Party: Yeah, meditation isn’t really the Doctor’s thing.
- The Doctor’s Big Entrance: Ok Doctor, I’ll give you the tank, and the guitar solo, but that entrance could have been much more Metal. Next time, add some flamethrowers.
- Dude: Dude.
- He spent yesterday in a bowtie: I always like it when the Doctor calls back to his previous regenerations.
- Traps are her flirting: That makes so much sense it’s kind of ridiculous.
- The TARDIS is Located: That can’t be good.
- Missy and Clara: I really like the interactions of these two. They’re really fun to watch.
- Doctor vs. Davros, Part 1: Boy Davros really wants to throw that whole “Left young Davros alone in a minefield” thing back in the Doctor’s face.
- Why would anybody hide a whole planet: Because it’s more dramatic that way!
- The TARDIS will be destroyed: I’m on Clara’s side on this one, good luck with that guys.
- Missy Turns the Tables: WHY ARE YOU SURPRISED BY THIS TURN OF EVENTS DOCTOR?! THE MASTER’S ONLY DONE THAT KIND OF THING, LIKE, ALL OF THE TIME!!
- Random aside: It was really nice to see some of the classic Dalek designs make a bit of a comeback.
- The Death(?) of Clara: We’ll see how well that sticks.
So, overall I think this was a pretty solid start to the new season. But I am kind of worried that instead of playing with the themes of Genesis of the Daleks, they’re going to be cribbing whole-cloth from it. But I guess we’ll find out next week.
A short look at David Ten(nant)’s run.
A short look at one of the most overlooked of the Doctors.
Just in time for the New Year!
Can my house being gutted right now be a dream too? ‘Cause I’d really like that.
- Up On the Housetop: Was one of the elves driving? ‘Cause if one of them was, they’re a crappy driver.
- Nobody likes the Tangerines: My mom likes tangerines, I don’t however.
- The Dancing is Working: Hell, if it’ll keep your mind of something that it shouldn’t be thinking about, I say dance your heart out sister!
- Telepathic Aliens: Can I just say that I really liked the idea of these monsters. Their introduction is really well done, the exposition is delivered in a way that gives us just enough information to know they’re a threat without giving the whole game away.
- Danny is Dead: Well, that was inevitable.
- Santa Claus is Coming to Town: Nice entrance there Big Red, little overdone for my liking but nicely done all the same.
- Santa Goes Badass: I liked Nick Frost’s Santa, for a (spoiler alert) dream construct, he’s not gonna put up with any crap.
- A Second Sled: If I didn’t know any better, I’d be saying that Santa is a Time Lord.
- Alien is Offensive: The Doctor’s never seen Alien? You’d think that someone would have shown it to him somewhere along the way.
- Clara’s Dream: Yup, Danny’s there and giving her everything that she wants for Christmas, gotta be a dream.
- Danny and Clara’s Last Christmas: Interesting how even in her dream Danny’s first instinct is to sacrifice himself to save Clara. Even Dream!Danny is still Danny.
- We Are All Dead: I was wondering about that, and (for once) Moffat delivered a satisfying answer.
- All the Touchy-Feely Stuff: The Doctor’s never been good with the touchy-feely stuff.
- Missing the Obvious: And yet again, Moffat doesn’t use a cheap cop-out to explain away something that has been simmering away in the back of the viewers minds. I’m not going to say that Moffat’s writing has turned a corner with this episode, but I like how he’s not taking the easy way out and just hand-waving everything away.
- Who You Gonna Call?: The guy with the sleigh that’s bigger on the inside of course!
- Santa’s Midnight Ride: You know, I really love it when the show leaves the angst on the side and just has some fun.
- Waking up from the Dream: Interesting to see what everyone’s lives are really like. The dream could be a reflection of what they would like to be, instead of what they are.
- 62 Years: The Christmas Cracker, just that damn Christmas Cracker. Ouch.
- Second Chances: So Clara isn’t leaving; okay Moffat, I’m willing to go along with you on this one, just quit with the “Clara is the answer to everything” plot resolutions please.
So that’s another Christmas Special in the bag, now the long wait begins for the next season, let’s hope it will be better than the last one.
He’s Scottish! That means he can complain about things!
All aboard the Feels Rollercoaster!
- Clara is the Doctor, again: This was actually a smart move on Clara’s part, even if it wasn’t entirely clear what she hoped to get out of this gambit, it did buy her time for something to happen.
- Selfies with the Cybermen: If you’re surprised by people taking pictures of those things instead of running for their lives, I’ve got some beachfront property in Arizona you might be interested in.
- U.N.I.T. Surprise: Damn guys, that’s some S.H.I.E.L.D. level sneakiness right there!
- Bowties are cool: You go, Osgood. You go.
- Kate Introduces Herself: Can I just talk about how much we learn about Kate from her little speech? Character Expansion done right, people.
- The Doctor: “Guard the Graveyards!” Clara: *Wakes up in graveyard* Me: …Oops.
- U.N.I.T. is looking a lot like the British version of S.H.I.E.L.D., can we say crossover?
- Clara in the Graveyard: This scene was just plain creepy, and I loved it. More like this please!
- The Brig’s Goal: I really like how Kate keeps a portrait of her dad on the plane, a friendly reminder of how important he is to her.
- Hail to the Chief: Somehow I don’t think that you could get every country on the planet to agree on one President of Earth, even if it is the Doctor.
- It’s Raining Cybermen: Now, this doesn’t really fit with what we’ve seen of the Cybermen, but I think that Missy did some upgrading of her own.
- Danny the Cyberman: This can only end badly.
- The Death of Osgood: Excuse the unladylike language but; fuck you, Missy.
- The Inhibitor: See?! What did I tell you?!
- Missy vs. The Doctor Part 1: Killing Osgood, bad move Missy. Sending Kate out of the airplane, really bad move. Blowing up Belgium, have you ever heard of overkill Missy?
- The Disintegration of Seb: Bye Seb, you won’t be missed.
- The Doctor’s Intervention: Ouch, I knew that was gonna hurt, I just didn’t know how bad.
- Missy vs. the Doctor Part 2: Okay, so Missy’s plan was to build a massive Cyber-army to give to the Doctor so he could use it to save people and worlds that he couldn’t on his own. I know that Missy is nuts, but jeez, this is what she came up with to get him to pay attention to her? Missy, you need some therapy girl.
- Danny Steps Up: Danny you beautiful idiot, you will be missed.
- A Salute for the Brig: Okay this? This is where I teared up. Where else would the Brig be indeed.
- One Trip: This is such a Danny thing, we almost should have seen it coming.
- The Parting of the Ways Redux: The more I think about this ending, the more sense it makes given everything we’ve seen from the these two. Would they lie to each other just to keep the other one from worrying? You bet they would. And given the lies they told, it makes sense that they would see their partnership as over. The lies will come to light eventually, at least I think they will, and when they do there’s going to be a lot of hurt feelings and explanations that are going to need to be made.
- Guess Who’s Coming to Town: If they can have a Robin Hood episode, why can’t Santa show up?
And that’s it ’till the Christmas Special! A mixed season overall, but it did get better at the end.
So that happened!
- Wait, what?! : Not five minutes in, and we’ve already had a major character death. This does not bode well.
- Clara’s Betrayal: Clara, nothing good ever comes from threatening the Doctor. You should know that!
- The Doctor Cares: It would have been really nice to see a bit more of this before now, but it is nice to see that the Doctor really does care about what happens to his companions.
- I’m Exactly What You Deserve: Given what we saw in the previous scene, and what we’ve been seeing this whole series, I’d say that’s true.
- Danny’s Dead: *nods* Yup, that’s about the reaction you’d expect.
- Giving the Doctor Some Attitude: I think that the Doctor is a bit weirded out by Clara’s grief and her betrayal. He’s far more used to her being right there with him and right now she isn’t.
- The Welcome Package: I…have no idea what to do with this. And apparently the Doctor doesn’t either.
- It would be a serious problem if Clara was okay: I’m gonna agree with the Doctor on this one, what with the creepy skeletons in water and the snogging androids and all that.
- Ipads in the Afterlife: I don’t think that Steve Jobs had much to do with the Ipad, but whatever.
- Dark Water: You almost have to wonder what’s in those thanks that you can’t see…
- Clara Will Be Fine: Nothing really interesting to point out here, I just really liked Clara threatening to detach something from the Doctor if he spoke for her again.
- Danny and the kid: Oof, yeah, I can see how that might haunt someone.
- Three words: …damn. If that were true, I would be changing my living will so fast!
- “Be Strong, Even if it Breaks Your Heart”: Uh-oh
- And in case you’ve managed to miss any hints about what’s really going on here, the doors are happy to give you a nice big hint.
- So yes, the Cybermen are back! I’m actually glad about this, I like the Cybermen a villains and it’s nice to see a classic villain getting some love this series.
- Something Only Danny Would Say: Danny would say something that he knows will keep Clara out of danger, and that’s exactly what he did.
- Pesky Emotions: Oh shit…
- Missy is Short For…: CALLED IT!
So yeah, I really liked this episode. It’s a nice, strong first part to a season finale, now let’s just hope that they can keep it up next week.
(High pitched voice): Trees…they are us…*
To save some space on the front page, I’m just gonna put the rest under a “Read More” cut.
So, was last week the start of a trend? Or just a fluke? Let’s find out.
• Good, creepy cold open. I like it.
• Methinks that the Doctor is suspicious of Clara’s insistence that Danny’s cool with her traveling with the Doctor.
• The Readings are Ishy: That can’t be good.
• It’s the Incredible Shrinking TARDIS! With apologies to Richard Matheson.*
• Speaking of shrinking; Clara’s right, the tiny TARDIS is cute.
• A short note on tech here: I really love the way that they’ve been showing more varied kinds of tech in the show lately, not just sonicing everything and calling it a day.
• I’m the Doctor: On the one hand, good for Clara showing initiative like that. On the other hand, I’m pretty sure that being the Doctor is a lot harder than it looks.
• An Inconvenient Call: Well, that wasn’t awkward at all!
• The Art and Skill of Lying: Well the Doctor would know, wouldn’t he?
• Taking Charge: Now this I find interesting; Clara is basically acting as an extension of the Doctor, which means that she feels the responsibility that the Doctor must feel for getting everyone out alive. And sometimes that means having to rhetorically smack a bitch. Which explains why the Doctor gets so pissy when people as the age old “Who put you in charge?” question.
• You know, when you start really thinking about the concept of two dimensional aliens, it’s really cool.
• Doing the “Thing”: So clever, you wonder why the Doctor didn’t think of it first.
• Also, the Doctor’s little dance, I can’t be the only one who thought it was kind of cute.
• Somehow I knew that ramming the train into the aliens wouldn’t do anything. So, yeah, Rigsy’s sacrifice wouldn’t have done anything. So, bonus points to Clara for stopping him.
• For some reason, I really like the idea of graffiti saving the world.
• Clara is a good Doctor: Yeah, more on that later.
• I am the Man Who Stops the Monsters: Oh snap, 2D aliens are going down!
• Sometimes the Wrong People Live: Ain’t that the truth.
• Goodness had Nothing to do With It: Here’s the thing, I don’t think that the Doctor likes the idea of anyone having to make the kind of decisions that he has to make all the time. So now imagine that the Doctor has seen his companion having to make those kinds of decisions twice now. The first time was by his own choice, still not sure what that was all about, and this latest time, he had no choice in the matter. Something tells me he’s trying to prepare Clara for something; I’m just not sure what yet. I’m kind of wondering though if this situation isn’t a lot like the Seventh Doctor preparing Ace for whatever he was preparing her for.
• I Chose Well: Oh, hello there “Clara is the answer to everything” sub-plot. I didn’t miss you at all.
This one was rather meh in my eyes. Not bad by any stretch of the imagination, but not really a stand-out episode either. There was some good character stuff for Clara and the Doctor, and once again the side characters were well done and interesting. But I know Doctor Who can be better than this, and that’s the most frustrating part of this series.
Next week will either feature tigers heavily, or William Blake. Not sure which. Also, more Danny. Five bucks says he finds out that Clara’s been lying to him.